Skip to main content

Post #32: La Soufriere

One hundred and fourteen miles east of Barbados sits the island nation of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. St. Vincent is the name of the largest island in the archipelagic chain that constitutes the country, which gained independence from Britain back in 1979. It was also in 1979 that the country last saw the eruption of La Soufriere, the volcano that casts a shadow over Georgetown and Fancy on the northern end of St. Vincent. La Soufriere hadn't made a peep in forty-two years.

That changed last Friday.

La Soufriere erupted early in the morning hours of April 9, spewing gas and ash as high as thirty-three thousand feet. More than sixteen thousand people were ordered to evacuate at that time. What to do with the residents has become a stumbling block for the country. Cruise ships have offered to help but many of those weren't ready until the following Monday. Many citizens refused to evacuate. And of course, this all sits against the backdrop of the covid-19 pandemic (thank goodness we've all got masks now). 

I don't know how the island is handling all of this itself. There are stories of water shortages and power outages. Every image from St. Vincent looks like a bomb has gone off, though nothing is really destroyed. Recent reports have indicated that the volcanic activity has gotten worse, with lava flows having been spotted and the damage becoming more significant in the areas closest to the volcano.

You would think that one hundred and fourteen miles would be a decent barrier to shield oneself from the gas and ash spit forth by La Soufriere, but here in Barbados, the effects are plainly visible. For the last three days, the entire island has been covered (and I mean every single surface covered) with a fine, toxic ash. The sky has been hazy and dark. Ash has rained down like snowflakes. It has turned each walking citizen into a Pig Pen cosplayer. The government has issued stay-at-home advisories for us all, and drivers are encouraged to stay off the roads. There isn't a thing you can do without kicking up a cloud.

The irony in all this is that on Thursday, the night before La Soufriere erupted, the Barbadian PM, Mia Mottley, announced that social restrictions would be loosening up significantly. Gone would be the overnight curfew for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. On the weekends, citizens and businesses could now be out and stay open until 11pm. The beaches were re-opened for use from 5am to 7pm. Gyms were given the green light to resume activity. Pleasure crafts could take bookings again. Bars could re-open at half capacity. Our covid-19 cases had plummeted and we were getting back to the business of living semi-normal lives again. Not so fast, said La Soufriere. It seems that every time humans make the decision that life can go on again as it had before, nature intervenes to put on the brakes.

Personally, I'm frustrated but there isn't a whole hell of a lot to be done. I am again confined to my living space, and so is Roo. It is him for whom I feel most bad. That poor puppy has had a hell of a time here, adjusting first to the separation and loss of our "pack," then to the heat and humidity, then to the inhospitality of the native dogs, and now to volcanic ash clouds. He doesn't understand why he can't go outside, why he can't peek out through the patio to spy on the neighborhood, why he can't lie down or run around outside, why there don't seem to be any people-friends or puppy-friends anywhere. I am helpless. Any time we spend outside increases the risk we both face of ash inhalation, and that shit is toxic and filled with particles of glass.

The ash gets everywhere.
My windows and doors are shut, yet it's on my counters and floors.
I wear a mask outside, yet I can feel it grind between my teeth.
I put on sweatshirts and hats, yet it leaves a thin film on my skin.
There is no safe space from it. It coats everything, in total, without discrimination or prejudice. 

There is nothing to be done but wait. For now, I live in the bottom of a charcoal grill. I cross my fingers and hope for rain. I hope for stiff winds that will blow these ash plumes southward and westward. I hope that we can get past this soon. But that's all I can do is hope. Practically, there is nothing else to be done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #34: Barbados Bye Bye

No one in Barbados has a last name. I learned this very early during my stay here. Whenever you meet someone, you get their first name and then an associative physical or geographical characteristic. "Hi, I'm Peter." And Peter is tall and bald and from Denmark and so that's how Peter is known to you from then on. When you describe Peter to someone else, those characteristics become that person's last name. Person A: "Do you know Peter?" Person B: "Maybe. Peter who?" Person A: "You know. Tall. Bald. From Denmark?" Person B: "Oh right - Peter!" What's incredible is that people fully accept that this counts as "knowing someone," and I can think of no better way to encapsulate my time on the island than that: a series of very intimate and personal connections, shared experiences, and fun where no one even knows your name. It's hard to say what I'll miss about Barbados because I believe that in time, this pl

Post #33: Rockfight

Anton Chekhov believed that every element of a story should contribute to the whole. "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there." A month ago, I was sitting in my driveway, talking to my neighbor. We were talking about fights in Barbados. I was curious to know how the men here typically behaved when a fight broke out. Did they throw fists? Was anyone quick to grab a knife? How often did shootings happen? Ever see some wild shit? She laughed and said that none of those things happened all that often on the island. She went on to note that of the three or four fights she had witnessed in her life, all of the men picked up a rock to use as a weapon. "Huh," I thought to myself at the time. "Good to know." Fast forward to this morning. I've been trying to get a new routine down since restrictions have loosened and gyms were allowed to re-open. I settled on this: wa

Post #30: The Kindness of Strangers

The current rules for quarantine in Barbados dictate that each new arrival spend five days in isolation before being re-tested for covid. I say re-tested because each new arrival is also required to produce a negative PCR test result upon touchdown, so travelers to the island will be tested twice in the space of eight days. Thanks to the unpredictable weather of the American Northeast, snow and ice delayed my flight for a few days, meaning that I was tested twice in six days prior to leaving. These details will become relevant in a minute, I promise. The afternoon of Friday, February 12th will be a memory that sticks with me for a long time. I had been in quarantine at the Moonraker since the previous Saturday afternoon, and I had taken my second covid test. I was waiting on my test results because I was desperate to leave the spartan confines of the beach shack for the more comfortable amenities of my posh apartment. There is a lot to love about the Moonraker, and my dog and I visit t