Skip to main content

Post #14

Wednesday, 6.20.18
3:26pm
36 years old
185 pounds
Denver, CO

"Why can't you just be cool?" Reader, the author does not need to tell you how often he has been asked this question. And for fuck's sake, if I knew how to be cool all the time, then I would be! I'm not choosing this neurotic weirdness because it's a hoot or a good time - this is how I goddamn am. Believe me, I've been trying to solve this riddle for years.

Spin class is back in my life, which means that the fire has returned. It feels like I haven't missed a day. I was worried that after such a long layoff, and smoking like a chimney in the meantime, that I'd be more than rusty. Those fears were groundless and it's like I never left. It's been a welcome reintroduction.

Remember always that she is a cat. She will let you know when she wants to be stroked and petted and played with and loved. Until that notice is given, you are invited to fuck off please.

An alarming trend has emerged in these times we find ourselves. Never has the author been socially abandoned so casually as he has been in the last month. The lack of courteousness is rampant, I tell you! People cancelling plans at the last minute. People delaying, or not showing up at all. People not returning calls or text messages. It's an epidemic. But the author also believes that he is far too often on his phone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #34: Barbados Bye Bye

No one in Barbados has a last name. I learned this very early during my stay here. Whenever you meet someone, you get their first name and then an associative physical or geographical characteristic. "Hi, I'm Peter." And Peter is tall and bald and from Denmark and so that's how Peter is known to you from then on. When you describe Peter to someone else, those characteristics become that person's last name. Person A: "Do you know Peter?" Person B: "Maybe. Peter who?" Person A: "You know. Tall. Bald. From Denmark?" Person B: "Oh right - Peter!" What's incredible is that people fully accept that this counts as "knowing someone," and I can think of no better way to encapsulate my time on the island than that: a series of very intimate and personal connections, shared experiences, and fun where no one even knows your name. It's hard to say what I'll miss about Barbados because I believe that in time, this pl...

Post #20

October, 2001 No matter the remedy, my head won't stop buzzin' Like all of these problems are one dime per dozen Or twelve for ten cents, except nothing makes sense And the more that I reach out and try so hard to hold The more that this all spirals out of control So in my attempt to see a little clearer I try to find peace as I look in the mirror But it brings me no comfort because I don't recognize These clouds that have settled and distorted my eyes I dropped my smile and I think that it broke And when I open my mouth, I can't speak, I just choke There seems little help in all that's familiar Can't stop an addiction, even if it might kill ya Haven't righted a wrong, just watch it get polluted Haven't focused my goals, my vision's been diluted I reach for these things but I can't seem to attain them Tears scratch the surface, somehow I contain them Keep on swallowing down, repressing a frown Choking back on emotion and igno...

Post #33: Rockfight

Anton Chekhov believed that every element of a story should contribute to the whole. "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there." A month ago, I was sitting in my driveway, talking to my neighbor. We were talking about fights in Barbados. I was curious to know how the men here typically behaved when a fight broke out. Did they throw fists? Was anyone quick to grab a knife? How often did shootings happen? Ever see some wild shit? She laughed and said that none of those things happened all that often on the island. She went on to note that of the three or four fights she had witnessed in her life, all of the men picked up a rock to use as a weapon. "Huh," I thought to myself at the time. "Good to know." Fast forward to this morning. I've been trying to get a new routine down since restrictions have loosened and gyms were allowed to re-open. I settled on this: wa...