Skip to main content

Post #20

October, 2001

No matter the remedy, my head won't stop buzzin'
Like all of these problems are one dime per dozen
Or twelve for ten cents, except nothing makes sense
And the more that I reach out and try so hard to hold
The more that this all spirals out of control
So in my attempt to see a little clearer
I try to find peace as I look in the mirror
But it brings me no comfort because I don't recognize
These clouds that have settled and distorted my eyes
I dropped my smile and I think that it broke
And when I open my mouth,
I can't speak, I just choke
There seems little help in all that's familiar
Can't stop an addiction, even if it might kill ya
Haven't righted a wrong, just watch it get polluted
Haven't focused my goals, my vision's been diluted
I reach for these things but I can't seem to attain them
Tears scratch the surface, somehow I contain them
Keep on swallowing down, repressing a frown
Choking back on emotion and ignoring the notion
That these can be fixed because I've been deep-sixed
And this ring in my ears has been going for years
So hopelessly lost and I don't care what the cost,
But I need to be found before I hit the bottom
If you're looking for answers, I'm afraid I don't got 'em
My best friend lately floats at the bottom of a cup
As I'm standing here screaming while no one looks up.

Throwback Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #34: Barbados Bye Bye

No one in Barbados has a last name. I learned this very early during my stay here. Whenever you meet someone, you get their first name and then an associative physical or geographical characteristic. "Hi, I'm Peter." And Peter is tall and bald and from Denmark and so that's how Peter is known to you from then on. When you describe Peter to someone else, those characteristics become that person's last name. Person A: "Do you know Peter?" Person B: "Maybe. Peter who?" Person A: "You know. Tall. Bald. From Denmark?" Person B: "Oh right - Peter!" What's incredible is that people fully accept that this counts as "knowing someone," and I can think of no better way to encapsulate my time on the island than that: a series of very intimate and personal connections, shared experiences, and fun where no one even knows your name. It's hard to say what I'll miss about Barbados because I believe that in time, this pl...

Post #33: Rockfight

Anton Chekhov believed that every element of a story should contribute to the whole. "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there." A month ago, I was sitting in my driveway, talking to my neighbor. We were talking about fights in Barbados. I was curious to know how the men here typically behaved when a fight broke out. Did they throw fists? Was anyone quick to grab a knife? How often did shootings happen? Ever see some wild shit? She laughed and said that none of those things happened all that often on the island. She went on to note that of the three or four fights she had witnessed in her life, all of the men picked up a rock to use as a weapon. "Huh," I thought to myself at the time. "Good to know." Fast forward to this morning. I've been trying to get a new routine down since restrictions have loosened and gyms were allowed to re-open. I settled on this: wa...

Post #6

Monday, 3.26.18 1:55pm 36 years old 185 pounds Life according to John Cena: Hustle, Loyalty, Respect Life according to Kurt Angle: Integrity, Intensity, Intelligence Life according to the puppy Rousimoff: Play Time, Nap Time, Food Time At the edge of town About a six minute drive from what passes as Main Street Over the train tracks that have needed a weeding since before they were laid Between the eroded farmhouses and the marsh that follows the river to the south Down the road just a piece from the best slice of pie baked west of the mountain Behind the masks of the alcoholics that stagger in and out of the two bars that drain love and wallets and marriages where sunlight doesn't touch Beyond the reach of all but the sheriff department, and he only comes 'round when there's real trouble like murder trouble like that summer that no one talks about when Jimmy and Paige were found with their.... Into the teeth of a wind that bites, and a sun that beams like Je...