Skip to main content

Post #25: the Bajan Year Begins

I arrive on the island of Barbados on February 6th, 2021. I am wearing a long-sleeve shirt and linen pants and a hat representing a basketball team from a city that's two years behind me. It is ridiculously hot and humid, weather made all the worse by my attire, and the fact that I am standing on the tarmac of the Grantley Adams International Airport, beneath the cooling engines of an A320. I am trying to make a phone call: the customs broker who has been working with me to ensure a safe arrival on the island for me and my dog is nowhere to be found. The last of my fellow passengers has boarded a bus that ferries them away to the customs and clearance office. And so now, I'm standing on the tarmac with my dog on his leash, flashing paperwork at a helpful but bewildered and overwhelmed man named Daryl, and I have no idea where to go next.

I manage to get ahold of the man who is transporting Roo (my dog) to our quarantine hotel. Because animals have to go through one kind of clearance, and humans quite another, masters and pets must separate temporarily and handle their respective administrative duties. Thankfully, my transport is in place and waiting for Roo. I breathe a little. At least I know my dog is being taken to where we're supposed to go. Now - what about me?

Daryl crackles into a walkie-talkie attached to his shoulder and tells me, "one minute." Twelve minutes later, a baggage truck pulls up - if you've flown before, you'll know the one I'm talking about: single cab for the driver, trailer attached with canvas curtains affixed to either side, meant for hauling luggage from gate to aircraft. Except the only thing on the trailer is a dog crate. The crate looks like it will fit Roo, but barely. Roo cocks his head as the truck approaches and comes to a stop.
He sees the crate.
He looks up at me.
He sees me looking at the crate.
He looks back at the crate.
We look at each other.
He puts two and two together.
He screams at me with his eyes.

I pick Roo up. The driver of the baggage truck holds the crate vertically, and I lower Roo into the crate. It's the only way to get him in, and he HAS to go in. They pull the curtains to shade him from the heat, and the truck drives away toward the Animal Resource Center. I shout at the truck as it leaves, "I love you, buddy - I will see you soon!"

For the next half hour, Roo and I are traveling separate roads. I have to trust that he'll be there, waiting for me at the Moonraker Beach Hotel and Apartments, once I clear customs and gather my bags. None of my contacts are answering their phones - it's Saturday on the island, man. Who you think answering their phone at this time?

Welcome to paradise.
And so the Bajan Year begins.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #34: Barbados Bye Bye

No one in Barbados has a last name. I learned this very early during my stay here. Whenever you meet someone, you get their first name and then an associative physical or geographical characteristic. "Hi, I'm Peter." And Peter is tall and bald and from Denmark and so that's how Peter is known to you from then on. When you describe Peter to someone else, those characteristics become that person's last name. Person A: "Do you know Peter?" Person B: "Maybe. Peter who?" Person A: "You know. Tall. Bald. From Denmark?" Person B: "Oh right - Peter!" What's incredible is that people fully accept that this counts as "knowing someone," and I can think of no better way to encapsulate my time on the island than that: a series of very intimate and personal connections, shared experiences, and fun where no one even knows your name. It's hard to say what I'll miss about Barbados because I believe that in time, this pl...

Post #20

October, 2001 No matter the remedy, my head won't stop buzzin' Like all of these problems are one dime per dozen Or twelve for ten cents, except nothing makes sense And the more that I reach out and try so hard to hold The more that this all spirals out of control So in my attempt to see a little clearer I try to find peace as I look in the mirror But it brings me no comfort because I don't recognize These clouds that have settled and distorted my eyes I dropped my smile and I think that it broke And when I open my mouth, I can't speak, I just choke There seems little help in all that's familiar Can't stop an addiction, even if it might kill ya Haven't righted a wrong, just watch it get polluted Haven't focused my goals, my vision's been diluted I reach for these things but I can't seem to attain them Tears scratch the surface, somehow I contain them Keep on swallowing down, repressing a frown Choking back on emotion and igno...

Post #33: Rockfight

Anton Chekhov believed that every element of a story should contribute to the whole. "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there." A month ago, I was sitting in my driveway, talking to my neighbor. We were talking about fights in Barbados. I was curious to know how the men here typically behaved when a fight broke out. Did they throw fists? Was anyone quick to grab a knife? How often did shootings happen? Ever see some wild shit? She laughed and said that none of those things happened all that often on the island. She went on to note that of the three or four fights she had witnessed in her life, all of the men picked up a rock to use as a weapon. "Huh," I thought to myself at the time. "Good to know." Fast forward to this morning. I've been trying to get a new routine down since restrictions have loosened and gyms were allowed to re-open. I settled on this: wa...