Skip to main content

Post #13

Wednesday, 5.30.18
8:52pm
36 years old
189 pounds
Denver, CO

I suppose the truest mark of my progress is that to mark the third anniversary of my freedom from alcohol is that I didn't feel compelled to mark the occasion at all. Thinking back on the events of a late May day three years ago fills me with a lot of shame, and a lot of sadness, and a lot of dark thoughts about who I used to be, who I might still become if I'm not careful, what I've put my family through....
It's important to feel those emotions sometimes to their fullest extent for the purpose of growth and because it is what a responsible, emotionally healthy adult should do. It's also important not to live in that space for too long. You have never seen thread unravel so fast as when a former addict starts tugging at the frayed end of their self-confidence. Marking the occasion is important for the purpose of marking progress. I will not argue with that. One thousand and ninety-five days have passed since, and that stretch has included some of the best days of my life. It's just that the counterbalance for patting myself on the back is particularly heavy, and man, it swings back fast and it hits HARD.

So this is my third year without a drink. I do still miss it sometimes, especially now that summer is here. Frosty beer on a summer night is one of the finest things about the human experience. I am still asked whether or not I will drink again, and I still don't know. I have thought of scenarios in which I would take a drink. I just know that for now, abstaining is the right call. I feel it in my gut and I know it in my heart.

I don't forget the lesson of 5.31.15.
I don't forget the feeling in the weeks afterward.
Some things about that day I will not ever forget. And I should not ever forget them.
Cheers to three years. Still a long way to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #34: Barbados Bye Bye

No one in Barbados has a last name. I learned this very early during my stay here. Whenever you meet someone, you get their first name and then an associative physical or geographical characteristic. "Hi, I'm Peter." And Peter is tall and bald and from Denmark and so that's how Peter is known to you from then on. When you describe Peter to someone else, those characteristics become that person's last name. Person A: "Do you know Peter?" Person B: "Maybe. Peter who?" Person A: "You know. Tall. Bald. From Denmark?" Person B: "Oh right - Peter!" What's incredible is that people fully accept that this counts as "knowing someone," and I can think of no better way to encapsulate my time on the island than that: a series of very intimate and personal connections, shared experiences, and fun where no one even knows your name. It's hard to say what I'll miss about Barbados because I believe that in time, this pl...

Post #20

October, 2001 No matter the remedy, my head won't stop buzzin' Like all of these problems are one dime per dozen Or twelve for ten cents, except nothing makes sense And the more that I reach out and try so hard to hold The more that this all spirals out of control So in my attempt to see a little clearer I try to find peace as I look in the mirror But it brings me no comfort because I don't recognize These clouds that have settled and distorted my eyes I dropped my smile and I think that it broke And when I open my mouth, I can't speak, I just choke There seems little help in all that's familiar Can't stop an addiction, even if it might kill ya Haven't righted a wrong, just watch it get polluted Haven't focused my goals, my vision's been diluted I reach for these things but I can't seem to attain them Tears scratch the surface, somehow I contain them Keep on swallowing down, repressing a frown Choking back on emotion and igno...

Post #33: Rockfight

Anton Chekhov believed that every element of a story should contribute to the whole. "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there." A month ago, I was sitting in my driveway, talking to my neighbor. We were talking about fights in Barbados. I was curious to know how the men here typically behaved when a fight broke out. Did they throw fists? Was anyone quick to grab a knife? How often did shootings happen? Ever see some wild shit? She laughed and said that none of those things happened all that often on the island. She went on to note that of the three or four fights she had witnessed in her life, all of the men picked up a rock to use as a weapon. "Huh," I thought to myself at the time. "Good to know." Fast forward to this morning. I've been trying to get a new routine down since restrictions have loosened and gyms were allowed to re-open. I settled on this: wa...